Your local library may hold HSC Lock-Ins (where you have the library to yoursef for a quiet place to study), Study Spaces and Homework Help tutor sessions so check it out!
HSC Area of Study - Discovery
We can help!
We have created a list for you. Visit our catalogue to see all the titles we have collected with advice from BOSTES and schools.
Before deciding on a title from these lists please discuss your choice with your teacher.
Narrow your search
When you enter this link to our catalogue you will see every title we have tagged. If you lose this search just click on the RRL logo at the top to take you to the home page of the catalogue and click on HSC Discovery in the Popular Searches word cloud.
NOTE: You need to be in the catalogue for these next instructions.
Use the links on the right of the catalogue page to narrow your list to Author, Collection and, most importantly, Branch (which means your local library).
If the item is available for loan at your library, you can visit and borrow it (but don’t take too long in case someone else gets to it before you!). If the item you want is currently on loan at your own library and/or is available at another Riverina Regional Library branch, you can place it on reserve (click in the link to find out how). A fee of $1 applies to each reservation.
What if you want a picture book?
- Look over on the right of the screen
- Scroll down to Collection and click the link Picture book.
Create a list
- beside each title is a box to tick
- when you have selected each title for your list scroll to the bottom of the page and click
- when you are finished click on View Basket on the left of the screen
- click each title and make a note of the shelf location in your library (eg is it in the adult fiction section (F) or the youth fiction section (YF)?)
- print your list or save to your desktop
- don’t forget your library card when you go to the library and ask staff if you need help
Stay on track for all your exams
At your library
These are examples of what you can find :
(Titles represented here are not necessarily kept on a shelf at your local library. For a small fee, staff can organise a request organised for the resource or you can learn how to DIY here.)
Excel HSC standard English Shelf Location: 820.76 SPUR
Biology : past HSC papers and answers 2001-2006 Shelf Location: 574.076 BIO
For more titles visit the catalogue and type HSC into the search box and click on SEARCH.
Type any relevent word such as Essay writing or Study notes.
Example result :
Mark Haddon’s The curious incident of the dog in the night-time : study notes for standard English : Module B 2009-2012 Shelf Location : 823.914 HADD
- School atoz – Here are some ideas for Mum and Dad.
- BORED of studies
- NSW Students Online
- Study TV – Discover top students’ secrets to helping you max your marks and overcome stress!
- HSC English Guide – maintained by the State Library of New South Wales
- Novelist – reviews for over 135 000 fiction titles, Author Read-alikes, Book Discussions Guides, Picture Book Activities and Teaching with Fiction. To sign into NoveList you will need your library member number.
- CSU Online links to past exams and study guides, free online resources for each year 12 subject or stream and free multidisciplinary resources.
- Wolfram|Alpha dynamic computations based on a vast collection of built-in data, algorithms, and methods.
- IXL – Maths practice that feels like play.
- Bozemanscience – science videos
- Khan Academy – Students can make use of our extensive library of content, including interactive challenges, assessments, and videos from any computer with access to the web. Click SUBJECTS at the top of the screen in the Khan Academy site to find your topic.
- Cliffs Notes provides you with summaries in both text and audio for a large variety of books.
- Check out Novel Guide for free study guides for a large variety of books.
- Sparknotes can be great for video notes of your set texts.
- Find more notes and even an app for your books at LitCharts.
- Awesome Stories – over 100 000 primary resources including 3400 videos, audios, evidence-based guides, documents and images for students.
Your parents can help you too